Malaria, Vitamins, Lice, & More



  
~MALARIA~
I will tell you all the volunteers in my session DID take Malaria pills.  I took an alternative method and a handful of other things.  

The Malaria pills may not settle well with you.  If you have time make sure you have found one, with your doctors help, that won't make you ill all day.  I heard taking them at night helps too.
Malaria is pretty serious.  Learn about it here.
The only time I noticed a mosquito was when I climbed into a taxi at the airport.  I wasn't in India for even an hour and one took a taste test of me!  I don't recall them being a problem at Rising Star.

~VITAMINS~

I took an Advanced Probioticgrapefruit seed extract, and a Multi Vitamin every morning.  It's a good idea to start taking any vitamins a few weeks before you go.


~SICKNESS~
I didn't get sick while I was there but it is VERY common to get diarrhea.  During the 2nd week a lot of people seemed to have the same issue and needed to stay near the bathrooms for 24 hours then it was gone.  Bring some Imodium, Pepto Bismol, or something like that.  I didn't have that on hand and wish I had.   
I had an issue where it felt like I had a pile of rocks in my stomach after I ate a certain dinner or Trail mix but didn't have anything to relieve it.
Bring sunscreen with a bug/mosquito repellent.  Some days you will be in the sun ALL day.  It is hot.  Sunscreen is a must!  Having a small towel can be handy on days you are doing projects.  Wiping your eyes with gloves is a pain.

I carried homeopathic motion sickness pills with me ALL the time.  I get sick easily (even when I am driving)  I don't like how Dramamine makes me feel so I tried this:
Hyland's Natural Relief Motion Sickness Tablets
I admit I was hesitant because I NEEDED it to work.  They were fabulous!  I didn't get sick at all during any of my flights.  I thought maybe I was cured of the motion sickness thing- so I didn't take one for a 30 min flight...I almost tossed my cookies!  
They work!  
I kept them in my backpack that I carried everywhere because the roads are crazy bumpy and sometimes our trips took a long time with traffic and its HOT.

~LICE~

I didn't get lice.  I've been there 3 times. I did used this Lice Shampoo.  It's supposed to repel lice...
I'm not sure if this is why I didn't get lice.  I do know the Rising Star kids do get lice often.  I think the Americans freak out about it more than they should.  It comes with the territory.  I actually have my kids use this weekly during the school year.  They have outbreaks in their American classes all the time!! We've never had it.

The girls LOVE to play with your hair.  Most volunteers take the chance and let them.  Lice doesn't show up until 10 days out.  You might be home by the time you realized you have it.  Maybe that's why I didn't hear about anyone getting it.
I did bring RID just in case then left it in the Hostel for one not as lucky as me.  Several boxes of RID have been left behind at Rising Star, so a supply is there.


Still have Questions?  Email me!


No comments:

Post a Comment