Fundraising~ Yard Sale


Taken from the blog of Trina

the good(s)




























This weekend I hosted a neighborhood sale!
A few days before the sale, I handed out flyers, letting my friends 
and neighbors know I was putting on a yard sale and would gladly 
take anything they were wanting to get rid of.(The weather at this time 
was TERRIBLE. Cold and windy.. and I mean windy.. all day
 and all night.)When Friday came, the sun was shining bright, not 
a cloud in the sky, it was the warmest spring day we'd had so far!
My husband and I set out the few meager items we'd collected from
 our house, not nearly enough to last through the weekend. 
I can remember saying to him, "I hope this doesn't turn out to be a flop!
"We put signs up anyway and cars started coming our way. 
The next thing we knew, friends were coming out of their houses 
with smiles on their faces and arms full of donations! Trash bags full 
of clothes. Items still in boxes never opened. Things to decorate the home.
At first glance our yard sale looked pitiful, barely filling our driveway, 
hardly worth stopping for. But pitiful looking as it was, the driveway 
never emptied. Things seemed to show up out of no where! I could barely
 keep track of what was coming and going! Saturday morning came
 and again I found a tub of donations sitting outside our garage door!
I thought of a couple comparisons to this event..The miracle of Jesus
 and the never ending basket of loaves and fishes.Hermione and her
 tiny satchel that could hold ANYTHING.. tents, clothes, swords.. 
Where did it come from? :)The first comparison is more amazing 
than the second of course, that's just what popped into my head!
At the end of the sale we were surprised to find we had made over $600.00!! 
A monetary success!However, in my mind, the money earned is just a
 side note to everything I learned and experienced in such a small time
!A couple came to to the sale and told me they lived in a poor 
neighborhood, where the children didn't have much, and they 
were buying up as many items as they could afford to give them.
 I was so happy to be able to help them.One lady was buying shoes 
and said if they didn't fit her, she would send them to family in the 
Philippines. Amazing!I was touched when a little girl gave me a 
handful of change, just as a donation to the cause, expecting nothing 
in return.I could FEEL the love coming from friends and family as 
they pulled together and supported me. My heart has been so full of 
gratitude and humility because of their efforts.In a world where 
everything negative seems to be the focus, it is a breath of fresh 
air to see and experience the GOOD in people. I was truly blessed
 to be a part of it.Thank you again to the Campbells, Honeys, Browns
, Hughes, ScholzensScotts,Haights, Staples, Parkers, my Mom in law
 and my Mom, my kids and of course my adoring husband for helping
 to make this fundraiser a success! Those in India will most definitely 
be blessed by your service!


(Right: Me sporting a Wile Coyote band aid from my recent 
vaccination, and a nice farmer tan. It felt so good to be actively 
working with a goal in mind!)




























No comments:

Post a Comment